When ranking fears, public speaking usually sits in an honored spot next to spiders and jumping out of an airplane. As a self-identified introvert, I can certainly relate. I did grow up acting, but there is something ever so comfortable about that fourth wall. It really isn’t me up there, it’s the character. If you had told me when I was doing theater in high school that one day I would make my living on the other side of the fourth wall, speaking as myself to large groups of strangers every day, strangers who can ask questions and offer immediate feedback both good and bad, I would have told you you were crazy. And yet, that is exactly how I do make my living now. And do you know what? It’s really not so bad. And do you know what’s even better? This is a skill you can learn, and one that I’ve found has had profound impact in all areas of my life.
I consider my four years as a tour guide an excellent apprenticeship. In those years I have, through trial and error, learned how to speak publicly every day without having a panic attack.
Here are some of the key lessons I have gleaned:
- How best to prepare
- How to read and direct a group (you will speak differently to a group of fifth graders than you will to a group of retirees)
- How to hold that group’s attention without slides or gimmicks
- How to respond to questioners and hecklers with grace and humor
- How to flow with changing circumstances (the streets of Boston can be a crazy place)
- How to speak and present myself well (some of that theater training has actually paid off!)
- How to learn from my inevitable mistakes and make each tour better than the last
Could a better understanding of some of those points help you in your life and career? Probably so, but I know most of you don’t have four years to play around as a tour guide to figure that all out, which is why I’d like to help.
From individual coaching sessions to group trainings, I’ll guide you through the actionable steps that make the bones of a good public speaker and then we’ll work one on one, putting the ideas into action to craft and hone your individual speaking skills and style. We each have a unique voice, are you ready to own yours?
Feel free to contact me for more information and rates.
For more information on me, here are some kind words written by others about my work.